- Higher authorities
- Council of the University
- Membership of the Council
- Meetings of the University Council
- The Quorum of Council Meetings
- Procedures of the Council Meetings
- Suggestions and Discussion
- Duties of the Decision Maker
- Documentation and Preservation and Archiving
- Confidentiality of Records and Resalutions:
- Committees of the Council
- Council spokesman
- Duties of the University President
Council of the University
The formation of the University Council:
The University Council is formed as follows:
|Vice President for Postgraduate Affairs||Member|
|Vice President for Education Affairs||Member|
|Vice Rector for Academic Affairs||Member|
|Vice President for Health facilities||Member|
|Vice President for Public Affairs||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Medicine||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Oral Medicine and Surgery||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Information Technology||Member|
|Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration||Member|
|Director of Documentation and Information Management||Member/Authorizer|
|Director of Capacity Management||Member|
|Director of Marketing||Member|
|Director of the Training Center and Continuous Learning||Member|
|Director of the Control Office||Member|
Membership of the Council:
Membership in the Council of the University depends on the position of its members. This membership shall continue to be valid and shall be considered invalid in the following cases:
- Absence without a legitimate excuse (accepted by the council) to attend the meetings for an entire year.
- Cancelation of a membership is only considered valid upon a decision of the University Council.
Competence of the University Council:
The Council of the University is the highest authority in the University. It determines policies, adopts strategies, plans, budgets and all that have a significant impact on the performance and growth of the university. However, in order to achieve the above mentioned, the Council may exercise following:
- Adopting strategic and financial plans and organizational body upon a release of the President.
- Monitoring the work process of the university through regular reports.
- Appointing the external auditor in order to audit the university accounts.
- Appointing a President and adopting the proxies and managers suggested by the university president.
- Holding regular and irregular meetings in order to discuss the progress of work at the university
- Adopting the estimated budgets, final annual accounts and the profit distribution.
- Adopting the estimated budgets for projects of a value of more than the authorized value granted to the university president.
- Adopting the decisions related to capital raising.
- Adopting participations, annexation or merger with other local or foreign institutions.
- Adopting the establishment programs, centers, institutes and new branches upon a proposal of the President.
Meetings of the University Council:
- The Council of the University to meet once every month upon an invitation of the President. Assembly may be held on an exceptional basis, when needed, upon an invitation of the President. Meetings are considered valid when attended by the majority of its members. Its decisions shall be made by the majority of those present. Decisions shall be valid form the date issuance.
- The President determines the location and time of the meeting.
- Meetings may take place outside the university council headquarters in the city of Benghazi, when necessary.
- If any of the members is outside the country, communication via Email or other means of communication is permitted.
- Based on the consultation with the President of the Council a draft agenda, after the completion of discussing with the member on the items we would like to put forward
- Agenda to be attached to the issues, topics and copies of all documents and papers related to be presented to the Council five days before the arranged date of regular meeting.
- Taken into account, when preparing the draft agenda, the inclusion of urgent issues and topics, in order of importance, as decided by the President of the Council. Any member of the Council may request including any other issue related.
- Every members of the University Council has the right to inform the President of the Council of the topics presented to the Council, at least, five days prior to the meeting.
- The University Council may not discuss any matter that is not included in the agenda until completion reviewing all of the topics listed
- The agenda of any meeting includes an article on new tasks to be implemented.
The Quorum of Council Meetings:
- The quorum for a Council meeting is considered complete when it is attended by more than half of its members.
- Absent members, with a written excuse, are considered within the legal quorum.
Procedures of the Council Meetings:
- The President to chair the meeting.
- If the President is not present, the meeting shall be chaired by the University President in charge.
- The University Council President has the right to invite to meetings of the Council sees the need to use their knowledge or expertise of experienced and competent on that does not have any of those counted vote in the deliberations and that the limited attendance to discuss the topics that have been invited for it and that I leave the meeting place after the end of their mission directly
- All members shall submit a point of order if the system unstable or that the debate has become the subject at hand is in front of the council may
- When applying a point system by any of the members, the debate shall be stopped by the President accepted the point of order or reject them at its discretion
Suggestions and Discussion:
- Any member may, after the completion of the debate on any subject, propose suggestions related to the matter, to the President.
- When the suggestion is discussed, it may be presented for the voting process.
- All members may decide whether the suggestion is fully discussed and may also stop the debate on the matter.
- Voting in council is by raising hands, unless the President deems otherwise.
- In the case of equality of votes, the President shall have a probable vote in addition to own vote. If the votes are equal and president’s own vote was not counted, the matter shall be withdrawn from the agenda but it shall be discussed and presented in a following meeting determined by the President.
- The Council seeks issuing its decisions unanimously.
- The Council issues decisions by a majority of vote of present members.
Duties of the Decision Maker:
- Consulting the President of the Council regarding the articles of the agenda based on discussions with members on the items to be presented, at least five days prior to the meeting.
- Notifying each member directly of the location and time of the meeting.
- Providing all means of work needed for the performance of the Council and providing documents of work to be discussed.
- Consulting the President of the Council regarding the invitation of experts, specialists and advisers, when necessary, and ensuring that those mentioned leave the meeting as soon as the discussion on the matter related ends.
- Providing explanatory notes for each matter presented in cooperation with the relevant subject matter. Matter should not be presented until decision is made.
Documentation and Preservation and Archiving:
- Minutes of each meeting held by the Council to be released. Containing names of the members present, their signatures, names of members absent and a detailed report of the meeting topics discussed and decisions related.
- Preparation of a codified summary of the results that can be put in a form of decisions in coordination with the legal office. In addition to the photographic and video documenting of each meeting of the Council.
- Each minutes of meeting are be signed by the President and Decision Maker.
- The Council presents the previous minutes of meeting at the beginning of each.
- A hard copy is saved by reference and no to easily obtain and an electronic copy is archived.
- Yearly volumes of the counsel are issued and published on the university website and a copy kept at the university liberty.
Confidentiality of Records and Resalutions:
The Council minutes of meeting, including the deliberations and resolutions are confidential. Decision maker or are not permitted to disclose to any other party, only if the president requires.
Committees of the Council:
The Council may constitute a committee of its members or others to study any particular issue or to implement any decision issued by it and may determine its work.
Is either the president or whoever is in charge. Members may not release any information related to the Council’s work without permission from the President.
Duties of the University President:
The President is primarily responsible for implementing the general policy of the university. As well as the implementation of the University Council policies in order to achieve the message, goals and objectives and has the authority to manage and supervision by practicing the following: –
- Prepare strategic plans and annual business plans and supervise their implementation to ensure the university achieve it goals to the fullest.
- Direct and monitor work and resource exploitation of the University to insure polarization and maintain the required numbers of faculty members and staff who have the motivation proper training, in edition of preparation of performance measurement system to ensure the university reaches its goals and objectives.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to the University council , agents, deans and department managers to ensure the evolution of Medical University teaching techniques and ensure preparation of appropriate policies to achieve university goals and objectives and comply with all laws and regulations related to the university.
- Create links and formal and informal partnerships with related government authorities and departments and parties with the university general interest. And private organizations to exchange information and points of view to insure the university has the best education quality.
- Supervision of research and development programs to ensure that the university is ahead of competition, and at the forefront of scientific research.
- Supervise the preparation of budget estimates and adopted and implemented and monitor to ensure the achievement of goals and maximizing revenue and reducing fixed costs to a minimum.
- Supervise the preparation of marketing plans and public relations services to promote the image of the university in society in general.
- Representing the university in front of suppliers and government departments and any other important points to get the best possible contract opportunities for the benefit of the university.
- overseeing the development of government management systems and risk and compliance and quality management of the University to insure providing the best services.
- Supervise the preparation of the final annual report and its approval.
- Develop and implement policies and health management systems, safety and the environment and ensure compliance with the university and other official legislations.