Libyan International Medical University is a non-profit, private university that is located in the heart of Benghazi city; the second biggest city in Libya. Libyan International University has been established in the year 2007 by a decree that was reached by the Ministry of Higher Education in Libya. The Libyan International Medical University obtained a classification of initial approval by the National Center for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Higher Education institutions.
Libyan International Medical University (LIMU), is an academic institute that applies Quality Management System, adopts strategies of self-directed, lifelong-learning, knowledge production and community service. LIMU endeavors to graduate competent professionals to satisfy community needs. LIMU promotes scientific research and professional development programs. LIMU is vividly committed to professional ethical values and principles.
The Libyan International Medical University (LIMU)represents the courageous initiative and the serious attempt to elevate and steer medical education sector away from the current “Rentier State” status in the country, this initiative was based on quality and international standards. A selected Libyan expertise and competencies have taken this initiative to contribute to the scientific renaissance we owe to our country.
The University was founded based on the latest discoveries teaching techniques, curricula and systems, LIMU have realized the need to open up to the society and to participate in its activities and interests. As a result, the University is now bearing the burden of change, development and aspirations achievements in education and health care systems that meet the expectations of Libyan citizens, and from its leading position to contribute to competing with a modern world that is witnessing a remarkable scientific progress like never seen before in all aspects of life, which was unthinkable when it comes to its contents and how rapid it developed, so it became very difficult to stay in competition without focusing on the development of human resources and meet the future needs of represented by ”life span” learning and mastering the use of modern technologies and entering the digital era.
LIMU takes care of the educational process quality, and the improvement of analysis, criticism and creative skills through the adoption of reliable modern teaching methods so different from traditional education which focus on “student-centered education” and a “self-organized learning” realistic strategy, to acquire knowledge and develop skills and talents relevant to the professional and life practices of our future generations.
Our approach to the strategy of “self-learning”and the “dilemmas-based learning” does not stem from the simulation and imitation of others, but it is an imperative necessity by the nature of this era and the future needs and challenges and thus, we all deserve to be part of the prosperous future and to live and over-come life’s difficulties by science and knowledge.
Mohamed Saad Imbarek
Establishment Of The University
The University was founded in accordance with the following laws and decisions:
- Law No. (21) of the year (2002) regarding the practice of economic activities.
- Law No. (2) of the year (1992) regarding the organization of higher education
- The General People’s Committee Decision No. (249) of the year (2005) regarding the adoption of the civil education and training regulations
- Decision of the Secretary of the General People’s Committee of Higher Education No. (593) of the year (2007) regarding the establishment of a <<Civil Medical University >>.
Regionally occupy a leading position in the areas of learning, research and training.
Libyan International Medical University (LIMU), is an academic institute that applies Quality Management System, adopts strategies of self-directed, lifelong-learning, knowledge production and community service. LIMU endeavors to graduate competent professionals equipped to satisfy community needs, and promotes scientific research and programs of professional development. LIMU is committed to professional ethical values and principles.
- Academic integrity
- Transparency & integrity
- Good governance.
- Self-directed lifelong learning
- Team work
- Effective partnerships
- Innovation and excellence
- Adopt a modern learning strategy (self and life long learning) to meet globalization needs and international competitiveness requirements.
- Meet future community and labor market needs and develop intellectual capital.
- Raise health awareness and contribute to development of family and community health, social development and compliance with social ethics and values.
- Realize returns and a financial position to ensure continuity and growth.
- Develop institutional capacity and possess complete facilities of the university complex.
- Develop human capital and create an advanced successful model for the private sector and health services.
- Adopt business process management system and automation in the teaching and management processes.
Critical thinker: able to think clearly, rationally, reflectively and independently, to understand the logical connections between ideas.
A researcher: conducts research, by organized and systematic methodologies.
A counselor: gives advice or counsel.
Mentor: supports and encourages people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximize their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be.
Technology user: has the ability to utilize and keep up with new technologies.
Leader: proactive and effective in people towards the achievement of a specific goal and able to manage time effectively.
Information manager: collects and manages information from its sources and the utilizes that information to solve problems
Emotionally intelligent: has the ability to monitor own and other people’s emotions, to discriminate between different emotions and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior.
Working in the spirit of the team: He has the ability to work in a team that does not contradict and work independently.
Committed to human values: respect for human rights and takes into account the diversity and multiculturalism.
Taking into account the principles of “Occupational Health and Safety”: committed to the procedures and guidelines, “Occupational Health and Safety,” and calls it.
The University’s Policy
- Develop academic programs to accomplish the task of education and continuing medical education.
- Conducting periodic self-evaluation.
- Establishing academic relationships with other bodies and organizations and prestigious international universities in order to exchange expertise, as well as provide consulting and academic cooperation.
- Training of university staff on self-evaluation and thus improving the chances of continuous development.
- Emphasis on the values of quality, excellence and competitiveness of the University.
- Provide scientific and educational classes which encourage creativity and innovation and move away from stereotypes, simulation and replication in an effort to create a professional environment.
- Work to maintain a healthy working environment, in allowing freedom of choice and respect for human rights.
- Respect for dignity and humanity without discrimination of ethnicity, religion, gender or political beliefs.
- Supporting healthy lifestyles and strengthening the links between the familiarity of students and working to develop the talents and capacities in the promotion of ethics and values.
- Commitment to transparency and scientific integrity in the implementation of regulations, adopted and declared in the implementation of educational programs.
- The University is committed to participate and contribute in all various activities and events in the community aware of their pioneering role and importance in improving community participation and promotion.